Saturday, April 10, 2010

It all started...

It all began with Monkey Bread. Yep, that's right folks, Monkey Bread.

As an LPN at an urgent care facility, it sometimes falls that I have to work on holidays. This was the case last weekend, when Easter Sunday fell on my shift. I have never had to work on Easter... ever. So, to make the day brighter for myself, and for my co-workers, I decided to make a nice breakfast that we could start our day off with. Monkey Bread.
Now, I had originally planed to take the "easy way out"- several cans of Pilsbury cinnamon rolls, cut into fourths, baked in a bundt cake pan, and drizzled with the accompanying icing. But that seemed to ho-hum... so I found a recipe online for homemade Monkey Bread (thanks thePioneerWoman.com)
3 cans buttermilk biscuits
1 cup sugar
3 tbls. cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 sticks of butter

Pre-heat oven to 350

Open biscuits, cut into fourths
Mix 1 cup sugar and 3 tbls. cinnamon in a gallon zipper bag
Add biscuit pieces to cinnamon-sugar, zip bag closed, and roll the whole thing around until all the pieces are coated well

Meanwhile, melt 2 sticks of butter in a sauce pan, and add brown sugar, stir until the sugar disolves, and you have a beautiful light brown butter sauce

Grease your bundt pan, and add in biscuit pieces
Pour butter sauce over the biscuit pieces

Bake at 350 for 30 to 40 minutes
Let the whole thing cool for about 10 minutes, and turn over onto a serving plate... viola!

Let me just tell you, I was SO pleased with myself- it looked amazing, and it tasted great! Everyone at work enjoyed it, and asked for my recipe. I did give recipe credit where credit was due.. but I took total credit for a wonderful breakfast treat that I never thought I could make.

That's when the bug bit me.. and I found myself wanting to cook MORE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment